At the Westwood School we follow ‘Maker Education’ where a facilitator empowers students through Sustainability, Equity, Health (including Mental Health), 21st Century Learning and Personalized Learning experiences for their successful lives. This is achieved by creating experiences for the students so that ‘learning can be powerful and memorable’. The committed faculty with the 21st century skills uses Project Based Learning in all grades levels and subjects areas.
For teachers, Westwood School offers professional development on how to design, assess, and manage projects that engage and motivate students.
The infrastructure design too supports the creation of school-wide processes and structure to support the teaching methodology.
The Westwood School functions like a miniature city with classrooms as learning rooms along with innovation Labs or special spaces across the campus providing food, facilities, health, security, transportation, and recreation services to the students.
21st Century Standards at Westwood School
- Focus on 21st century skills, content knowledge and expertise.
- Build understanding across and among academic subjects as well as 21st century interdisciplinary themes.
- Emphasize deep understanding rather than shallow knowledge.
- Engage students with the real world data, tools, and excerpts they will encounter in college, on the job, and in life-students learn best when they are actively engaged in solving meaningful problems.
- Allow for multiple measures of mastery.